Pettigo is a small former market town that straddles both sides of the international border with Northern Ireland, the River Termon flows through the town and defines this border. The town is centred around a ‘diamond’ surrounded by high quality historic buildings. 6 structures in the village 199 are protected, including the train station, Pettigo Mill and Castle McGrath and a further 8 listed on the NIAH. Pettigo was a popular destination on the Enniskillen/Bundoran line, closed in 1957 due to an end in cross border rail travel.
Pettigo History Trail
History, Culture and Heritage
Numerous archaeological structures and sites throughout the area, including a
number of Recorded Monuments.
Archaeological complex at Aghnahoo Glebe on the shores of Lower Lough Erne and
adjacent lands across the river and border in Northern Ireland are at a location of
strategic importance at the junction of the River Termon and Lower Lough Erne.
These lands were associated with the rights to Lough Derg pilgrimage site and the
Ulster McGrath chieftains from the 13th century until they were taken by Cromwellian
forces in the 17th century. The ruins of Termon McGrath castle remain at this site
along with forts in this landscape.
The Leslie family from Monaghan controlled Pettigo estate, and ran Pettigo Mill, on
the Termon River until the 20th Century.